CACFP: 1 serving = 1 meat; 1 bread
|Chicken, whole, uncooked
||5 pounds 4 ounces
|Spaghetti, thin, uncooked
||1 pound 8 ounces
|Chicken Bouillon, cubes or granules
||1 cube (1 teaspoon)
||3 cubes (3 teaspoons)
|Hot Chicken Broth or Water
|Cream of Chicken Soup, 10¾ ounce can
1. Place chicken in large soup pot and cover with water. Cover pan and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer chicken for 2 hours. Pour broth off chicken, reserving some for use in making bouillon.
2. Remove chicken from bones and dice. Be sure to discard the skin.
3. Cook spaghetti noodles as directed.
4. Dissolve bouillon in hot chicken broth or water.
5. Mix cream of chicken soup with broth.
6. Toss cooked chicken with Parmesan cheese and spice mix.
7. Add broth mixture to chicken and blend well.
8. Combine chicken and noodles and pour into casserole sprayed with cooking spray.
9. Bake at 375 degrees until bubbly, about 20 minutes.
10. Divide into portions (approximately ¼ cup per child) equal to number of children to be served.
Note: When you cook chicken, you can save the broth for later use in cooking vegetables, making soup base, or making bouillon. Cool broth in refrigerator and skim the fat. Then freeze the broth in handy amounts.