CACFP: ¼ cup = 1 fruit/vegetable
|Sweet Potatoes, fresh
1. Wash, peel, and cut potatoes into quarters or medium-size chunks.
2. Boil potatoes until tender, about 25 minutes. Drain.
3. Mash potatoes in mixer on low speed until smooth.
4. Warm milk in saucepan over medium heat. Gradually add just enough milk to potatoes to moisten.
5. Add margarine while beating on low speed.
6. Mix on high speed until blended and potatoes are light and fluffy.
Note: Children may not be used to "orange" mashed potatoes, but try this recipe several times. Make it an adventure by "growing" a sweet potato in the classroom. Remember to be positive.